Celery Pea Pod Almondine
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon diagonally sliced celery
- 6 oz. Fresh or frozen pea pods
- Melt butter over low heat in large frying pan.
- Add almonds; stir until lightly brown.
- Stir bouillon cubes, onion, sugar, garlic powder and ginger.
- Add celery and cook just until crisp-tender (about 8 minutes, stir frequently)
- Stir in pea pods and cook 3-4 minutes or until pea pods are crisp-tender.
- Serve immediately.
Broccoli and Cashew Salad
By: Renee Shepherd
A wonderful take-along for picnics and potluck. Broccoli’s natural sweetness pairs perfectly with the nutty, rich taste of cashews and spicy note of cilantro in this creamy dressing.
- 4 cups very fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces (about 1 lbs.)
- 1 ½ cup shredded carrot
- ¾ chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon low fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup toasted cashew nuts, very coarsely chopped
- In a salad bowl, combine broccoli, carrot and cilantro.
- To prepare dressing, combine the garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and orange juice.
- Pour over the vegetables and toss well, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cashews just before serving.
By: Martin Rios
- ½ cup dill (fresh, blanched)
- ½ cup fennel (tops only, blanched)
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- ½ cup vegetable stock, cold
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Using a blender, combine all of the ingredients together and puree utile smooth.